This week Tom, Craig and Pip are joined by Polygon’s Emily Gera to celebrate Pip’s transformation into a superstar indie game developer following her discovery of Puzzlescript. We chat a little about the various game making tools and their merits before Craig geeks out and talks programmer speak for a while. Thankfully we manage to lure him back to sense by mentioning Dark Souls and discussing in game tutorials versus learning from the community. Then round things we round things off with Emily explaining her pen and paper Shadowrun campaign. Sadly technical issues cut this episode short.
- All the various game making tools we talk about in this episode: Puzzlescript, Inklewriter, Adventure Game Studio, GameMaker and Unity. Plus our old favourite Twine.
- Pip’s two puzzlescript games: Giant Needs a Heart and Avocado Pusher
- Craig’s super depressing mod for that game, made live on the podcast!
- Emily’s inklewriter game: Congratulations, You Are Now a Kotaku Commenter
- Thinking of trying pen and paper RPGs? We made a few suggestions back in episode 11.
- If you are interested in the Dark Souls community, we recommend previous pod-guest Cassandra Chaw’s US Gamer article on the subject.
- Tom Senior’s D&D article for PC Gamer is full of annoyingly good drawings.